New England defeated the New York Jets 30-21 using Rex Ryan's old mantra of ground and pounding…
Game Balls & Goats: Week 5 Jets
1) BenJarvus Green-Ellis: A career day for the Lawfirm. 136 yards on 27 carries. Green-Ellis also turned in a 2 TD performance. But his signature moment came when the patriots needed to grind out the clock in the fourth quarter. Green-Ellis carried the ball 11 of the team's 12 plays on their final possession, enough to run the clock down and get a crucial field goal that salted away the win.
2) Wes Welker: The Jets knew that Brady would try to find welker, yet they were unable to stop him from another 100-yard performance. Welker finished with 5 catches for 124 yards and is on pace to shatter Jerry Rice's single season receiving record.
3) Patriots Defense: Still statistically the worst in the league, the defense showed up in the first half to shut down the Jets offense. Four drives, four 3-and-outs to start the game. While they still allowed 21 points, New England held the Jets to 255 total yards.
Tom Brady – He is on pace to break Dan Marino's single season passing record. Brady finished by completing 24 of 33 passes with a touchdown. Brady's only major mistake was a tipped ball that was intercepted in the red zone by Antonio Cromartie.
Stephen Gostkowski – 3 for 3 on field goals. Most of his kickoffs went 8 yards deep into the end zone. Another solid day for the veteran kicker.
1) Kickoff coverage unit: after New England took a commanding 17-7 lead in the third quarter, the ensuing kick was returned 88 yards to let the Jets get right back in the game less than two minutes later.
2) Pass Rush: The Jets had issues keeping Mark Sanchez protected through the first four games. The Patriots were barely able to get to Sanchez despite forcing pressure and using blitzes. If the Patriots are going to survice the season, the rush needs to be improved.
3) James Ihedigbo: The former Jet finished with 6 tackles on the day but his lapse in coverage of Santonio Holmes in the fourth quarter allowed the Jets an easy 21-yard TD to pull within 6. Ihedigbo struggled in coverage for the Patriots previously, and this game was no different. Needs to be more consistent.
Thomas Welch – Struggled filling in for Nate Solder at right tackle. Was pulled after getting beat in one series.
Penalties – Solder was pulled mid-series for committing a costly holding penalty. Gronkowski committed a facemask putting the team in hole. Sloppy penalties could have cost the team.
PatriotsInsider.com Recommended Stories
Week 8: Super Sleepers
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Jeb Gorham digs in his list of rankings to find the best sleepers for deeper formats. Consider giving these players a chance, but be aware of the risk! Tampa Bay…Read More
Watch: Sailfish Goes Psycho!
Check out this classic video of Dan Larson battling an acrobatic sailfish on a trip to the world-famous Tropic Star Lodge in Panama.Read More
BOMBS AWAY: ISIS BEFORE AND AFTER AIRSTRIKE
Photographer Bulent Kilic captured these amazing images of ISIS members who were on the very wrong end of an allied bombing in Turkey.Read More
TBT: Pumpkin Carving With A Handgun
While many hunters are focused on pursuing big game in late October, it’s also time to make sure you’re ready for Halloween, and specifically trick-or-treaters. In this throwback Thursday video,…Read More
Sullivan weighs seriousness of concussions
John Sullivan has suffered five concussions in his seven-year career, but he doesn’t believe his future is “in doubt.” He weighs the severity of the concussions against the number of them.Read More