Game Balls & Goats as we see them from the Patriots victory of the Carolina Panthers
1) Tom Brady - It seems as if Brady’s game play earns him a game ball every week. This time it’s well deserved as the 15th year veteran completed 17 of 21 passes for 201 yards and a pair of TDs.
2) Chandler Jones – the Patriots DL showed up big with six tackles, a pair of sacks and three TFLs. Jones’ ability to disrupt the Panthers’ line helped the defense pitch a shutout until the fourth quarter.
3) Julian Edelman – The Wes Welker clone is again showing why the team had faith in him. Edelman hauled in all 8 of the passes thrown to him, amassing 99 yards.
Shane Vereen – taking a page out of the Kevin Faulk playbook, Vereen caught a short dump off pass in the flat, then rolled 40 yards for the score, outrunning the linebacker assigned to him in coverage. A tiptoe stretch-for-the-pylon catch made the highlight reels as Vereen’s second score was an illustration in knowing where the end zone is.
Taylor McCuller -- little-known rookie highlight of the day was his 11-yard TD reception from Jimmy Garoppolo.
1) OL Jordan Devey – Never heard of him? He’s the one stepping on Brady’s foot causing a near catastrophe in the backfield. Even after he used Brady’s foot for stability, Devey whiffed on the block as the Panthers collapsed the backfield. Not a good day overall.
2) Brandon LaFell – undeserving of a full goat, LaFell continues to display inconsistency catching the ball. Some plays are amazing receptions, while others are forgettable drops.
3) Injury Bug – Rob Gronkowski and Jerod Mayo sat this game out. Donta Hightower as also sidelined. The team needs these starters ready for the season.
Share your thoughts here