The talk this week focused on injuries and last week's big wins by each team. And both sides went out of their way to tell us how good the other team is. No bulletin board material this week.
Here are the top 10 quotes of the week, heading into Week 8, Patriots-Vikings, on Monday Night Football:
10. "We really make foolish mistakes that don't give us a chance to win the game, especially against a good opponent."
Bills head coach Dick Jauron
Translation: "The way we're playing right now, we couldn't beat the 1990 Patriots."
9. "I told them, I'm carrying an extra 15 pounds. What did y'all expect?"
Patriots running back Laurence Maroney when asked if his teammates made fun of him for not scoring on his 74-yard kickoff return against Buffalo
Translation: "You wouldn't have seen any of them scoring, either. I'll break one for a TD one of these times, you watch."
8. "I would say that they are generally in the same family. Maybe cousins or second or third cousins. They're certainly not identical, but there are elements that will carry over in several of the next games."
Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, in regard to the Bills' defense and its similarities to the Vikings' and Colts' defenses.
Translation: "All defenses are related. There's a family tree of sorts. My old Giants defense, the Bears' 46 defense, our current defense. They all share the same tree. It's football genealogy."
7. "We are 5-1, so I think everyone is having a lot more fun."
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady when asked if Corey Dillon was enjoying himself more this year
Translation: "If you can't have fun on this team, then you don't enjoy football and you don't understand how hard it is to win in the NFL."
6. "I couldn't even watch it again on film because it was pretty gruesome."
Patriots defensive lineman Richard Seymour, on the elbow injury he suffered during last week's win over Buffalo
Translation: "I'm a tough guy and I couldn't even watch it. Do you think I'm playing this week? Or maybe I'm just building it up to be worse than it is to make the Vikings think I'm not playing this week."
5. "We'll issue the injury report after practice. I think everybody is day-to-day. He's day-to-day like everybody else. He's day-to-day. Just like me. I'm day-to-day."
Patriots head coach Bill Belichick on Seymour's injury
Translation: "Have we met? Do you really think I'm giving you any insight into our injury situation? You guys are slow learners."
4. "No, obviously being from there, I root for the team. Only when they are playing against us it's kinda like, then I won't
Like all my buddies, they are Patriots fans until they die, but when they play against me, they gotta root for me."
Vikings tight end Jermaine Wiggins, on whether or not he still roots for the Patriots
Translation: "I root for the Patriots unless they're playing against us. I'm not stupid you know."
3. "It's special because we don't have to get on a plane afterwards and fly back and get back that late."
Vikings head coach Brad Childress on how special it is to play at home on Monday Night Football
Translation: "Of course it's special. It's Monday Night Football! But if I build it up at all my guys won't treat it as just another game like I need them to."
2. "I'm glad we have the extra day. These guys have a lot of things to get ready for. They're pretty good at everything. If we weren't playing them, they'd be fun to watch."
Patriots head coach Bill Belichick
Translation: "These guys are good. Scary good. Purple People Eater, Super Bowl IX good. That's what I'm telling my team anyway."
1. "It's a big game against a good team. They're coming off a win that a lot of teams in the NFL haven't been able to do, go into Seattle and win. They're riding high right now. They've got a lot of momentum going their way. They've got great players."
Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi
Translation: "This is a great time to play Minnesota. Say it with me: Let down game."
The Patriots and Vikings prepared for the national stage in similar style this week. Give nothing away. Build up the other team. This game could end up being a good barometer of where each team stands.
Cue Hank Williams. And the ESPN crew. Patriots-Vikings. Monday Night Football. It should be a good one.
is a regular contributor to Patriots Insider. You can find him in the forums under
the name: DestinationSuperBowl.
You can also find archives of his columns on the Insiders by searching for "Darren