It seems like these two teams play each other every season. And with just one loss between them and the national spotlight on them Sunday night, this game promises to be another classic battle. And if these teams keep winning, this game might just hold the tiebreaker key come season's end.
Here are the top 10 quotes of the week, heading into Week 9, Patriots-Colts, on Sunday Night Football:
10. "It was unfortunate what we did. When you lose it doesn't count twice, it counts one and when you win it counts one, you know? You count it as one the other night."
Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson on their 31-7 loss to the Patriots
Translation: "That team wiped the floor with us. On national TV. I'm going to keep telling myself it was only one game. But it was much more than that. It was the end of our season."
9. "They always talk about corners having a short-term memory, but again I'm convinced that you learn from the past or it comes back to bite you. As I say, those guys, as most of our guys are, are prideful guys. They don't ever want to be chewed up like that again."
Vikings head coach Brad Childress on if his veteran secondary can brush off last week's loss to the Patriots
Translation: "I know I haven't slept all week. I kept seeing Tom Brady complete pass after pass in front of me. No, my guys won't just brush this off. It will take weeks for them to recover from this game."
8. "It was certainly a good win for us last year at that time. It doesn't carry a lot of weight this year. It doesn't matter to them what happened last year. It doesn't carry a lot of weight for us."
Colts quarterback Peyton Manning on winning in New England last season
Translation: "That win certainly didn't help us in the playoffs against Pittsburgh, now did it? At least we know we can beat them. I mean, I think I know we can beat them. Well, I hope we can beat them."
7. "Obviously it's not just another game. It's a big game. Once you get past all the hype, once you get past all the media attention, it all comes down to who plays the best on that given day
We'll see what happens on Sunday."
Patriots defensive back Rodney Harrison on the excitement of playing the Colts
Translation: "Coach Belichick's going to tell you this is just one of sixteen. But we all know this game is different. This game might just be for home field advantage in the playoffs. And we've never lost to the Colts while I've been on the field."
6. "We don't talk about the games too much."
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, on if he and Peyton Manning talk about their head-to-head battles in the offseason
Translation: "What could I possibly say? Sorry for beating you almost every time? Especially when it matters most?"
5. "He still looks so ugly in that uniform."
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady on seeing Adam Vinatieri kick for the Colts
Translation: "Who wears white pants after Labor Day? I can't even look at him in a Colts uniform."
4. "Tell Tom to quit looking at me."
Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri
Translation: "He's making me uncomfortable. Not that there's anything wrong with that."
3. "No, not at all. We'd been in that situation before."
Colts head coach Tony Dungy when asked if he was concerned that the disappointment of losing in the playoffs would carry over to this year
Translation: "We lose in the playoffs every year and then start the season with 7 or 13 wins in a row. It's sort of like a broken record. But in a good way. Until the playoffs."
2. "I haven't had the opportunity to talk to him or Mr. Kraft. I know that I left messages for them a long time ago, but at this point, I think that everybody has moved on. I know that Coach Belichick this year is all about winning games and not talking to me."
Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri when asked if he's spoken to Bill Belichick since leaving New England
Translation: "Talk is cheap."
1. "Yes, another undefeated Colts team coming into Foxboro, so the same storyline. We've heard that one before."
Patriots head coach Bill Belichick on another big game between the Patriots and Colts
Translation: "Boring! The Colts are undefeated. Again. Of course they are. It's November. Talk to me in January."
Brady vs. Manning. Adam Vinatieri's return to New England. The 6-1 Patriots against the 7-0 Colts. With apologies to Pink, I've been waiting all week for Sunday night.
is a regular contributor to Patriots Insider. You can find him in the forums under
the name: DestinationSuperBowl.
You can also find archives of his columns on the Insiders by searching for "Darren