Everyone's talking about the battle of the unbeatens in Big D.
The New England Patriots played their worst game of the season last week and still beat the Cleveland Browns by 17 points. The Dallas Cowboys had no right winning their Monday Night match-up with the Buffalo Bills, but 9 points in the final 20 seconds and they were walking off the field victorious.
Last week's wins by the Patriots and Cowboys provided us with just the second game between two 5-0 teams since 1973 (and the Patriots were involved in the other game of this nature in 2004 when they and the Jets were each 5-0).
Here are the top 10 quotes of the week, heading into the Game of the Year (so far), Patriots-Cowboys:
10. "It's good to win. It's always good to win and be 5-0."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick
Translation: "I love winning. I will do whatever I can to win every single week: Use video cameras, swindle another team out of one of the best players in the league -- anything. Winning is worth fighting for."
9. "We made a couple of plays and got the ball away from them a few times. Any time you can get the ball to Brady and the offense, it's a lethal weapon for us, so we try to do it as much as we can."
~ Patriots linebacker Rosevelt Colvin, on forcing four turnovers against the Browns last week
Translation: "God, I love watching this offense. It's like a video game. It's like Madden, or the old Nintendo Tecmo Super Bowl. It's just like that."
8. "You obviously hope to not have too many of those games, but it's something where it's not always going to go smoothly. We were fortunate enough to obviously get the win, even playing like that."
~ Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo
Translation: "I'm the quarterback of a 5-0 football team. Even playing as badly as I did last week! Isn't that cool?!?!"
7. "I think he just had a bad day."
~ Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips, on Romo's 5 interceptions and 1 fumble against the Bills on Monday Night Football last week
Translation: "I almost pulled him at halftime. Man, he was bad. But then I remembered that I don't even know who my backup quarterback is. I thought it was Jason Garrett, but they told me that he's one of my coaches."
6. "I don't know. He was pretty happy to get two in one game. I don't know. You'd have to ask him about that. I don't know what Junior is thinking sometimes."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked about Junior Seau's strange move with the ball during his second interception against the Browns
Translation: "I love Junior like my own son. Sometimes kids do stupid things, though. You just hope the whoopin' you give them makes them remember to never do it again."
5. "Yeah, I [thought about lateraling the ball] but coach wouldn't have liked that either. I didn't want to have two mistakes in one play so I took the one negative and went from there."
~ Patriots linebacker Junior Seau
Translation: "I'm sorry, Dad! I'm sorry! I don't want another whoopin'! I won't do it again, I swear!"
4. "We're going to put three [defenders] on Moss and try to keep him down all we can."
~ Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips
Translation: "That guy scares the crap out of me. I'd put four people on him if I didn't think Tom Brady would tear us apart. Of course he's probably going to tear us apart anyway."
3. "The origin of it? I don't know. It's comfortable. I can carry my stuff in my pouch here, whatever I need."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked about the origin of his now famous sweatshirt
Translation: "'Here's Bill Belichick. He looks fantastic in a sporty, fashionable little number. A gray hooded sweatshirt with a pouch for whatever he needs.' This ain't a fashion show, fellas. It's football."
2. "I think it's great. For a coach, you want your team to get up and you want to play at home, too. We've played three on the road already. We want to get back home and play, and any time you're playing New England you're going to get up for the game. I don't have to worry about motivation. That's good for us."
~ Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips
Translation: "Hey, you've seen me on the sidelines. I'm a fan, just like everyone else. I love that this is the biggest game going. And I'm the coach of a 5-0 team! Can everyone stop comparing me to Norv Turner now?
1. "Due to the magnitude of this week's game and high volume of questions for the Original 81 and the other 81, I will be taking all questions immediately following Sunday's game. Sincerely, Terrell Owens. P.S. Getcha popcorn ready."
~ A note for reporters left on Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens' locker
Translation: "This game is so big I don't even know what to say."
A game so big that even Terrell Owens is speechless. 5-0 New England vs. 5-0 Dallas. Brady vs. Romo. Moss vs. Owens. A potential Super Bowl XLII preview. Getcha popcorn ready.
Darren is a regular contributor to Patriots Insider. You can find him in the forums under the name: DestinationSuperBowl. You can also find archives of his columns on the Insiders by searching for "Darren Kelly"