This week the Patriots and Colts each take on the one team in the league that their quarterback has never beaten (Peyton Manning and the Colts play the Carolina Panthers). If both teams are victorious, we'll be in store for a match-up of undefeated teams with the most combined wins in NFL history.
But first, we'll let Coach Belichick tell us about last week's win over the Dolphins, and then we'll look ahead to this week's game against the Redskins. And we'll hear from Adalius Thomas and Ray Lewis about their long-distance feud. Here are the top 10 quotes of the week, heading into Week 8, Patriots-Redskins:
10. "Good win today. I thought our team played well, offensively especially. We moved the ball, scored a lot of points."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, after the Patriots' 49-28 win over the Dolphins
Translation: "Boy, that was easy. It's getting harder and harder to criticize these guys."
9. "We just played the game the way it came out. I don't know what would have happened if something else would have happened. I don't know."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked if running back Laurence Maroney would have played more if the game were closer
Translation: "Sometimes I like to talk in nonsensical sentences like John Madden. It is what it is."
8. "Yeah. One more turnover and it's a 14-point game in the middle of the fourth quarter. I was at the game."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when reminded that the score was 42-21 when he brought Tom Brady back in to relieve Matt Cassel
Translation: "That's me on the sidelines, you know. I'm there every week. Sometimes I've got the hoodie on, sometimes I've got a nice blue shirt. But I'm always there. And I always know the score. I'm looking to win every game by 20 points, so when my backup QB does something stupid, he's out. Get it?"
7. "We'll probably be the biggest underdog in the history of sports. Has anything held up against them? Do you have a game plan that will work against them? If you do, leave it here. Because I don't think anybody else has got one right now. We're going to struggle hard."
~ Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs
Translation: "The spread's only 16½? That's ridiculous. We should be 30- or 40-point underdogs. This team is unstoppable."
6. "I think he's blowing smoke. I promise you that he's not telling his team that. I'm sure. That sounds like something that Coach Belichick would say so he's trying to butter us up."
~ Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, in response to Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs' comment that his team would be "the biggest underdog in the history of sports"
Translation: "Coach Gibbs is pretty good. No bulletin board material from him. We really should be favored by more points, though."
5. "A.D., we appreciate you. But when you go and you do your own thing, do your own thing. You got your money, you're with a new team, be with your new team. But when [you] take a shot at men who you claimed you loved to go to war with, I call those [types of guys] cowards."
~ Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, in response to comments made by Adalius Thomas in Sports Illustrated
Translation: "A.D., you're on one of the greatest teams of all time. Quit talking about us, man. We got our own problems."
4. "As far as calling me a coward I think that goes to something personal. I don't like it. I will address that with him personally myself. I'll call him personally myself and I'll talk to Ray."
~ Patriots linebacker Adalius Thomas
Translation: "I'll call Ray and tell him that I can't wait for December 3 so that Tom Brady and the rest of our offense can make him look like a fool. And maybe Coach Belichick can put me in on offense so I can show Ray just how much of a coward I am."
3. "Well, let me start by congratulating the Red Sox on winning the American League and getting into the World Series. This will continue to make [it] an exciting week."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick
Translation: "Well, let me start by thanking the Red Sox for continuing to be a distraction to the fans and media from my undefeated and unchallenged football team. I wish they would keep playing until February."
2. "No, I wouldn't say so. I certainly think that it's impressive how they've played. Again, I haven't seen their offense. I'm aware of some of the statistics. I know Tom's thrown, what is it, 300 touchdown passes? I think it's 27. I'm kidding, but that's the stuff that really you can't miss."
~ Redskins guard Pete Kendall, when asked if it is daunting to play the Patriots after they've been dismantling opponents
Translation: "I'm so glad I don't play on defense. Tom will probably throw for 8 touchdowns against us. I'm also glad I'm not on the Jets anymore. Just facing these guys once is enough for me, thanks."
1. "A pat on the back. We used to get these cool things. They don't give them out anymore though, a nice little poster, but they stopped giving those things away."
~ Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, when asked if he received an actual award or just a pat on the back for winning the Player of the Week Award
Translation: "I used to like winning those little posters. I'd hang them on my wall with all my other awards. But it really doesn't matter. There's a certain trophy and a certain ring I'm looking to getting in about three months that will be even more exciting."
If Brady and company keep playing the way they've been playing, there might be a few more pats on the back coming their way. And that undefeated showdown with the Colts might just be a reality.
Darren is a regular contributor to Patriots Insider. You can find him in the forums under the name: DestinationSuperBowl. You can also find archives of his columns on the Insiders by searching for "Darren Kelly"