After another blowout win over the Bills, the undefeated Patriots have a chance to tie the record for fastest division clinching this weekend. Wondering what everyone said this week? Take a look at the top 10 quotes from Week 12. What they said and what they really meant.
The Patriots came out of their bye week looking even better than they did before it. Scoring on their first seven possessions, the Patriots destroyed the Bills to run their record to 10-0. The undefeated talk is just heating up at this point.
But in addition to the potential for an historic season, the topic of whether or not the Patriots are running up the score on their opponents was once again an issue this week. And "videogate" was brought up once more, due to the fact that some of the Eagles had spoken out about it back in September.
On the field, the Patriots will play their second of three straight primetime contests Sunday night. Here are the top 10 quotes of the week, heading into Week 12, Patriots-Eagles:
10. "It kind of makes me mad when you hear somebody from the other team's defense going, 'They shouldn't have done that, that's disrespect.' Do we think it's disrespect when they went and picked up their checks for letting a team score 50 points on them? That should be disrespect that you went to your owner and said, 'All right, pay me for that game I just played.' You can't look at it like that. You have to go out there and do your best. If somebody is blowing you out, you have to play harder. You have to stop them."
~ Patriots cornerback Randall Gay [ESPN Radio's Game Night]
Translation: "You know, when you beat a team that badly, you should get their paychecks too. I mean that's only fair, right? We should get paid twice for last week's game."
9. "No. I have no problems with that. It's our job to stop them. It's not their job to do what you or we might want them to do. They are just playing football."
~ Bills head coach Dick Jauron, when asked if he had a problem with the Patriots going for it on 4th down
Translation: "We couldn't have stopped them even if we had 13 men on the field or if it was 4th and 30. I'm not even sure my guys should get paid for that game."
8. "Oh, sure, yeah. Those guys are like brothers
They're linemen. They're offensive linemen, but they bond together and they play well together and I think they're certainly an important part of the team."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked if offensive linemen typically spend time together off the field
Translation: "Offensive linemen are big goofy guys that no one else really wants to hang out with. All they have is each other. They have to hang out together. Holidays, birthdays, summer outings, they do it all together. But what does this have to do with the games? Anything?"
7. "We're not trying to win 42-28. We're trying to kill people. We're trying to blow them out if we can."
~ Patriots quarterback Tom Brady [WEEI]
Translation: "Kill. Kill. Kill. Smash their faces into the mud. No mercy. Redrum. Redrum! That's what coach tells us."
6. "At this point it's probably wins and losses. We're just starting to get healthy and that's a good thing from our end.
~ Eagles head coach Andy Reid, when asked what the difference is between this year's Eagles team and the team that met the Patriots in the Super Bowl
Translation: "What did we win, 13 games that season? We've got 5 right now, and we're not going to win this week, so the most wins we'll end up with is 10. We're just not as good as we were that year. Fewer wins. More losses. That's the difference."
5. "I've never really felt that way. I felt that they deserved it. They won that game fair and square and I believe that, to be honest with you, that Super Bowl is a long, long way off in the past. That was two or three years ago, so it's not really one of those big deals to us at this point anymore. I think we're more focused on the things that we have to do in this game and try to win a football game."
~ Eagles running back Brian Westbrook, when asked if his teammates still feel as though their Super Bowl loss to the Patriots should be reversed because of the "videogate" incident
Translation: "I never said that. You can't prove that I said anything. Please don't kill us. It was all McNabb -- and he's not even playing this week. Please don't hurt me!"
4. "I'm eager every week we get to play, whether that's with someone who had something to say earlier in the season or not."
~ Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel, when asked if the Patriots have extra motivation against the Eagles because of what was said by Donovan McNabb and others about "videogate" back in September
Translation: "We like to beat the teams that shot their mouths off by at least 40. Just wait until the Jets game, though. We're looking to set all kinds of records that game."
3. "As far as trash-talking goes, it's going to be done on the field. We're going to settle it there. If you're going to keep doubting us, keep doubting us. Fine, then come stop us. Find out for yourself. May the best team win. Everything will be settled on the football field."
~ Patriots cornerback Ellis Hobbs
Translation: "You want to doubt us and say we're cheating and that's why we're winning? I've got one word for you: Scoreboard."
2. "Well, statistically, of course not. Nobody can say that. But yeah, statistically we've been productive. We'll see how it goes going forward."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked if he's ever had an offense as consistently productive as this one
Translation: "You guys are watching the same games I am, right? It's like watching a video game out there. I bought my son Madden '08. Now, you know I don't know anything about these electronic gizmos, so he kicks my butt every time we play. It's like he's the Patriots and I'm every other team in the league."
1. It's the best offense I've ever seen."
~ NBC announcer John Madden
Translation: "I mean just look at this, right here, look at this. They take the field and they say, 'OK, we're going to do this and you're not going to stop us.' And then boom! They do it and you can't stop them. I mean the only thing that would make it better would be if Brett Favre was somehow involved."
I'm certainly not going to argue with John Madden. If he thinks this is the best offense he's ever seen, then it's the best offense I've ever seen. With a point spread of 22 for the game, the folks in Vegas seem to agree. We could be in store for another blowout Sunday Night. And another week of wondering if this team will make history.
Darren is a regular contributor to Patriots Insider. You can find him in the forums under the name: DestinationSuperBowl. You can also find archives of his columns on the Insiders by searching for "Darren Kelly"
is a regular contributor to Patriots Insider. You can find him in the forums under
the name: DestinationSuperBowl.
You can also find archives of his columns on the Insiders by searching for "Darren
Recent Eagles articles
Recent Patriots articles
Eagles message boards
Patriots message boards
Official Game Thread: Patriots vs Eagles (Pats site)
Game Thread Pats vs Eagles (Eagles Site)
Poore's Picks: Week 12