The Patriots notched their 17th consecutive victory, knocking off the Jacksonville Jaguars 31-20 in the Divisional playoffs. They are now one step away from going to their fourth Super Bowl in seven years, and are two wins away from the first 19-0 season in NFL history.
The Jaguars gave the Patriots a tougher time than many expected, but once again Tom Brady and the offense carried New England to another win. Meanwhile, the San Diego Chargers went on the road and upset the Indianapolis Colts, setting up a rematch of last year's playoff game between the Patriots and Chargers.
Also this week, Igor Olshansky played the role of Anthony Smith, giving the Patriots some bulletin board material. And Randy Moss ran into legal trouble for the first time in his stay with New England.
Here are the top 10 quotes of the week, heading into the AFC Championship Game, Patriots-Chargers:
10. "Yeah, I'm looking for my Academy Award on that play."
~ Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, when asked about the fake direct snap to Kevin Faulk in last week's playoff win over Jacksonville
Translation: "Now that I'm the best quarterback of all time, I'm thinking of getting into acting. Maybe I'll start with some local Shakespearean plays and work my way up to Broadway and then Hollywood. Football's become so easy, I need a challenge."
9. "Do you think you're a handsome quarterback?"
~ Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss, who asked the final question of Tom Brady during the postgame press conference
Translation: "Get off the stage, Tommy, and let someone else get some love. You handsome devil, you."
8. "I'm all Zen. I'm all Zen."
~ Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, when told by a Japanese reporter that his on-field composure seemed "very Zen"
Translation: "Seishin ittou nanigoto ka narazaran."
English Translation of translation: "Where there's a will there's a way."
7. "I hate that song. The first time I heard that song was when I was with the Giants…They didn't get through playing that song before they had scored again and they started playing it again. It was: [singing] San Diego Super Chargers. That's still ringing in my head."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked if he liked the Chargers' "Super Chargers" theme song
Translation: "That song is awful. The '70s vibe, the bad memories it brings up for me. Just plain awful. It's probably the main reason I could never coach in San Diego. Now if Bon Jovi ever recorded it, well, that would be different."
|Matt Light blocks Igor Olshansky (AP Photo/Denis Poroy)|
6. "Who? New England? Seriously, I mean, they're more worried than we are, I promise you. Believe me. They know what's up. The way that we're playing now, nothing can stop us."
~ Chargers defensive end Igor Olshansky
Translation: "Yes, I am dumb enough to give the Patriots some bulletin board material, even though everyone that does that is humiliated by the time the game is over."
5. "I think in a weak moment, Igor misspoke."
~ Chargers head coach Norv Turner
Translation: "Why? Why can't I get these guys to shut up? Between Igor and Rivers, I can't take it. If this keeps up, I'm trying duct tape on them."
4. "Well, I think it depends on how severe the element is. There's light rain and then there's a hurricane. There's wind and then there's… a lot of wind. If you're talking about a lot of anything -- a lot of snow, a lot of rain, a lot of wind -- that affects it a lot more than a little bit."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked what weather element can affect the game the most
Translation: "Tonight on Storm Stories, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick details the worst weather in football history. Come on guys. I'm a coach, not a meteorologist. You want weather, watch the Weather Channel. Jim Cantore will tell you all about it."
3. "I think it's overrated. I think that sometimes it's perception vs. reality. Perception is that we can't stand each other, but reality is that I know Junior [Seau]. I go to his golf tournaments every year. I know Rodney [Harrison]. I've rented out his condo. I have respect for those guys."
~ Chargers fullback Lorenzo Neal on the perceived bad blood between the Patriots and the Chargers
Translation: "I hate the Patriots. Well, except for Junior and Rodney. But only because I like to golf and have parties at Rodney's condo."
2. "I brought it to [Coach Belichick] and said, 'Look coach, I'm being threatened to do something that I have no idea of what I need to be doing.' I was told to just focus on playing football and then I'll handle this once the season is over."
~ Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss on the legal issue that was reported last week
Translation: "I talked to Coach Belichick about it. He's like Yoda. Or a Japanese Sensei. You know what? I'm going to start calling him Sensei. He always knows what to do."
1. "Dress warm. [Cold is] the opposite of hot."
~ Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, when asked how extreme cold could be a factor
Translation: "Sensei says cold is the opposite of heat. Sensei also says to wear plenty of layers. And block out the weather. And the distractions. Football is everything, my pupils. It is what it is."
The Patriots will once again try to block out the distractions and focus on winning another football game. This one just happens to be the AFC Championship Game. If their quarterback continues to be all Zen and their head coach continues his Sensei-like ways, the Patriots will be back in the Super Bowl.
Darren is a regular contributor to Patriots Insider. You can find him in the forums under the name: DestinationSuperBowl. You can also find archives of his columns on the Insiders by searching for "Darren Kelly"
Official Game Thread